BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions

...are not impossible to keep.


On January 1, 2009 I did something I've done every January for as long as I can remember- I made a new years resolution. The resolution was to run at least one 5k in every month in 2009. Considering my long standing history of NOT running, the resolution seemed doomed from the very start. As has been seen in my previous posts about running, it has been a long and educational experience.

On December 27, 2009 I did something I've NEVER done in my life: I completed a resolution. Appropriately, the final race was the Epic Finale 5k in Bangor. It was one of my worst times and I came in dead last for the runners...but it was a joy. I knew from the very first step that I'd be last...and it is oddly appropriate since my motto going into this resolution was "Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start." Yup. I was last, but I got up and did it. I had the courage to start and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. The Frozen 5k, The Polar Bear 5k, The Irish Road Rover, The Animal Orphanage 5k, The Maine Day 5k, The Ma'nak'wane 5k, The Epic Rabbit Run 4 Miler, The Resolution Road Race, Walter Hunt Memorial 3k, Race 3 of the Luv 2 Run on Portland's Back Cove, The Run for Hope, The Craig McBean Memorial 5k, The Turkey Trot and finally the Epic Finale 5k.

So, the question begs to be ask: How do I move on? What next? How do I top this?

In this experience, I came to understand WHY I was able to see this resolution to completion. Sure, you could probably read this in any motivational book or 'how-to' guide...but I tend to need to experience something to actually GET it. I was able to complete this resolution because it was a number of small goals spread out over a year. It was definite. It was specific and it had a very clear goal with a very clear timeline. At least one 5k in each month.

And with that in mind, I've attempted to design a list of things I want to accomplish in 2010. Specific. Finite. The big difference is the lack of a specific time frame...which honestly makes me very nervous. The list is as follows:

- (6) 5ks
- (2) 10ks (hoping that one will be the Beach to Beacon)
- (1) Half Marathon (o.m.f.g. this makes my stomach hurt. I have a lot of work to accomplish this)
- 33 minute 5k time.
- Summit Katahdin.
- Summit (3) peaks in one day. (probably in Acadia)
- Wear a size 12, and by that, I don't mean "Hey, I found this one freak pair of pants that are clearly mislabeled and I can somehow stuff my ass into them" wearing, I mean, REALLY wear a size 12.
- Buy a pair of Gap jeans. (this is a VERY odd hangup of mine based in childhood trauma. ;) In middle school, all the prettiest girls wore Gap jeans. They just had this look to them and I loved them SO much...but Gap doesn't make jeans for girls my size. And while I was never "fat" in middle school or high school, I was never on the list of Gap jean wearers. I want to fix that. I want to own Gap jeans just once.)
- Buy a 2 piece bathing suit.
- Create a social fitness and health support system of friends and family. Don't want to spend the money on Weight Watchers...so hoping to create something else.

So, there it is. I've bought a journal that I hope to be dedicated to. It will serve as a food journal and journey journal. I've also started a workout calendar and an events calendar. Items such as races will go on the calendar preemptively, and I hope to mark off the other accomplishments as they occur. I've also started to talk to my friends about a social group for fitness and weightloss. Some folks to help keep me accountable. Some folks I hope to help stay accountable.

Fingers crossed. Welcome to my 2010. ;)

4 comments:

When Two Becomes Five said...

Great Goals Aud. I know I would like to be in a size 12 as well. Currently my goal is to lose about 20 lbs. My ultimate goal would be to exceed that by any amount. I would be willing to try to hold you accountible. I have found sparkpeople to be very helpful for logging my calories and exercise. But you have to be very diligent about it to be successful. I'm looking forward to meeting my goal. When I lost the weight before I felt so rejuvinated. I want more than anything to have that natural high back. One step at a time...you can kick some ass I know you can!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.