BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 19, 2009

Dave Ramsey...


...has already started to change our family tree.

Believe it or not, this story starts with a missing library book.

Alyssa lost one of her library books this spring and on Monday was informed that she couldn't have her report card with an outstanding library book, and if she didn't find the book, we would have to pay to replace it. Now, mind you, the book was only $4 ... but that wasn't the point. We explained to Alyssa that we'd need to take some money from Wilbur (her piggy bank) and work out a list of chores to do to work off the cost of the book.

Yesterday was Alyssa's last day of school. We paid for the book and she came home with her report card and a slew of other papers. It was a bittersweet moment for me. As a celebration for her last day of school, we told her she could climb in bed with me and watch Wall-E. I, being a slightly sleepy and drained Mama right now, dozed off. I woke to Alyssa yelling and exclaiming, "MOM! LOOK! I DID IT!" I opened my eyes to see that Alyssa had pulled her first tooth all by herself. (the fact that she was able to do that is a topic for another blog another time.) We cleaned it off, put it in an envelope and put it under her pillow. This morning, she awoke to a one dollar bill under her pillow.

"What are you going to do with it?" I asked.
"I'm going to put it towards the library book." She responded quickly.
I paused.
"You're going to do what?"
"I'm going to use it to pay you back for the library book."
::insert Mama swelling with pride::
I looked at her and smile. "You know, this is a special dollar. I think you can use this dollar to do whatever you want with. You don't need to pay back the library book with that dollar."
"Then I want to put it in Wilbur."

You got it, folks. Alyssa's first reaction was to pay off debt and the second was to save. Sure, she might not have realized it...but that is what happened!

For those of you who don't listen to Dave Ramsey, start. Go to daveramsey.com and start reading. Before long, you'll be saying phrases like, "Live like no one else, so someday you can live like no one else." or "I'm not taking part in this recession." or my favorite, "I'm better than I deserve." Dave gives financial advice that our grandparents used to abide by. He helps millions of people get out of debt all the time. Listen to his show on Fridays and listen to people call in to scream "I'MMMMMM DEBBBTTTT FREEEEEEE!!!" Start with the babysteps and move your way to financial freedom. ;)

And, as Dave would say, "change your family tree".

0 comments: