BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 15, 2009

Running has become...



...my therapy.

Back on New Year's Eve this year, I was having a conversation about (what else?) resolutions. Two of my friends and I started talking about healthy living and exercise and about my first 5k experience on Thanksgiving Day weekend in 2008. After a few sips of champagne, we decided that the best resolution would be to run at least one 5k in each month that one was available in 2009. I dedicated myself to doing it. I agreed to do it thinking that no one would run a 5k in the Winter in Maine.

I was wrong.

I started in January 2009, and since that time, I have completed seven more races. It has been a life changing experience for me. I'm certainly not GOOD at running...but I've come to FEEL GOOD while running, and that is a huge experience for me. I treasure my time running. When I go without it, I feel my energy and my self-esteem slip away. While I'm running, I swear I'm torturing myself...and when I'm done, I feel like there is nothing I can't accomplish. I have learned a lot about myself through running and honestly feel like a better and more stable person because of it.

Since running, I've:
- worn out a pair of sneakers for the first time in my life
- learned that winning IS NOT everything
- started to expect more out of myself and not resign myself to the notion that all my good days are behind me
- come to remember that I'm blessed with the ability to run...there are many out there that can't.
- decided to be an inspiration to Alyssa and other "penguins" out there. (penguins are a term for 'non-runners' who run. We don't look like gazelle's running...we look like penguins. And that is okay. You'd be amazed at how many of us are out there.)
- realized that being strong is sexy. I might not look any different after a run, but I feel like I should be on the cover of Cosmo giving up all my dirty little secrets. ;)
- stopped looking at the scale for validation. I don't have any idea how much I weigh, and I realized that is okay.
- watched my pulse drop from in the high 90's to the low 70's.
- stopped looking at food like the enemy. I look at food like it is supposed to be looked at: as fuel.
- met so many amazing people on the same journey as me. I feel like we know this big secret that everyone else is in the dark on.

My streak is in danger this month. There are no 5k races in Maine that I can run, due to personal and professional obligations. I refuse to miss my date and want to create my own 5k "race"/run/walk. I want to get some other people that I know, love and respect and have a leisurely 5k in the greater Bangor area. I want some of my friends and family to realize that this isn't an event to be afraid of. I want people to learn something about themselves and do something healthy for themselves and their family. It is only 3.1 miles. Even if you walk, you can be done in an hour. An hour. How short is that? It only sounds scary...but 5k is incredibly short. I think if I can pull this off and have a 'race' with my friends, it will not only keep my streak alive, but possibly be the most important race I'll be in all year.

Please let me know if you're interested and we'll start working on a date.

"The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start."

0 comments: